Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the following position in the Ministry of Health.(National Public Health Laboratory (NPHL) and the National Blood Transfusion Services (NBTS): NURSE 1 (RN 1).
Under the general director of the Nurse Manager of the Donor Room the incumbent is responsible for ensuring the general management of the donor before, during and after the donation process as well as counsel and refer for further management.
- Bsn in Nursing/ Certificate in Nursing
- 2 years experience
- Valid Nursing License
- Certificate in Phlebotomy/Venepuncture
- Ensure safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulations.
- Maintains medical and non medical supplies by checking stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed supplies, placing and expediting orders, verifying receipt of supplies; using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Documents donor care services on appropriate document.
- Assign and supervise staff in the Donor Room and for mobile session.
- Assist in the supervision of Enrolled Assistants Nurses, Technical Assistant and Ancillary staff.
- Assist in training of Nursing and Phlebotomy Students.
- Select suitable donors by taking careful medical history.
- Carry out limited physical examinations of donors which include weight, temperature, pulse rate and general physical activity.
- Education of donors post phlebotomy.
- Refer to Medical Officers donors who need further management for any adverse reaction during or following phlebotomy.
- Perform phlebotomy/venepuncture.
- Counsel Donors on seropositive markers (HIV, Hepatitis B and C, Syphillis, HTLV-I & II) and refer for follow up care.
- Flexible and able to adjust to changing situations quickly;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent time management, planning and organizing skills;
- Ability to show initiative;
- Demonstrate and maintain ethical Nursing Practice;
- Demonstrate accountability for one’s development and status as a professional Registered Nurse.
- Sound knowledge of resuscitation procedures;
- Sound knowledge of Phlebotomy/Venepuncture;
- Knowledge and competency in customer service;
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer software;
- Knowledge in counseling procedures;
- Exhibiting excellent customer service towards donors.
- Perform safe venepuncture procedures
- Counsel and prefer seropositive donors
- Perform Stock Inventory
- Training internally and externally.
- Maintain Clean and safe environment.
Interested persons may apply in writing, accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, January 11, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue